What is the baggage allowance of Southwest Airlines?
Southwest Airlines enables each traveler to bring one carry-on bag and a personal item on the boarding flight free of cost. The carry-on bag must be 50 linear inches (25 x 16 x 10 in), including handles and wheels, while the personal item must fit under the seat in front of you. As for checked baggage, Southwest Airlines allows up to two checked bags per passenger, with a Southwest free baggage weight of 50 pounds and a maximum size limit is 62 inches (length + width + height) per bag. Additional bags or overweight/oversized bags may incur additional charges.
What is Southwest Airlines' baggage allowance policy?
Southwest Airlines has some restrictions on baggage you carry on the board flight, so before taking it, you must be familiar with its Southwest baggage policy, which you will get by following the below content details. For that, you have to continue reading the below things simply.
Southwest's Carry-on baggage policy:
Southwest Airlines' carry-on baggage policy allows passengers to bring one bag and one personal item on board at no extra cost.
- Carry-on bag: The carry-on bag must be at most 24 inches (L) x 16 inches (W) x 10 inches (H) (including wheels, handles, and exterior pockets).
- Personal item: The personal item must be no larger than 18.5 inches (L) x 13.5 inches (W) x 8.5 inches (H), if it is larger, you have to pay the additional cost to them.
Both the carry-on bag and the personal item must fit under the seat in front of you or in the overhead bin. If your carry-on bag is too large, you must check it at the gate.
Southwest Checked baggage policy:
- Southwest Airlines will permit you to take two free checked bags per ticketed customer. The bags must be approximately 50 pounds each and 62 inches in size.
- Southwest also allows golf bags and skis to count as one of your free checked bags as long as they are within the weight and size limits.
Southwest Liquid baggage allowance policy:
- Southwest Airlines follows the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) liquid baggage allowance policy. You can bear out one quart-sized bag of liquids, creams, gels, aerosols, and pastes in your carry-on luggage. Each item must be 3.4 ounces (100 ml) or less than the measurement.
- You can carry additionally than 3.4 ounces of liquids in your carry-on if they are purchased in a duty-free shop after you have cleared security. These liquids must be in a tamper-evident bag.
- You can also bring liquids that are medically necessary in larger containers. You must declare these liquids to the TSA officer at the security checkpoint.
- Liquids in checked baggage are not subject to the 3.4-ounce limit. However, there are some restrictions on what you can check in your baggage. For example, you cannot check hazardous materials or flammable liquids.
How much does baggage cost on Southwest?
Southwest person does not take any cost from their travelers for the first two checked bags, but the airline does Southwest baggage cost for additional bags and for overweight or oversized bags. There is a list of baggage costs and how much the airline will take must know about it by getting through the details.
- First 2 checked bags: Free.
- Additional checked bags: $125 each.
- Overweight bags (51-70 pounds): $100 each.
- Oversized bags (over 62 inches but not over 80 inches): $125 each.
How many bags can I carry on Southwest Airlines for free?
- Southwest Airlines permits you to take 2 checked bags for free, as long as they do not exceed 50 pounds each and 62 inches on any side. Golf bags and skis also count as one of your free checked bags if they are within the weight limit.
- In addition, You can also bring one carry-on bag and one personal item for free. Carry-on bags on Southwest baggage weight limit must be no larger than 24 inches (L) x 16 inches (W) x 10 inches (H). Personal items must be no larger than 18 inches x 14 inches x 8 inches.
- If you need to bring more than 2 checked bags, you will need to pay a fee. The fee for each additional checked bag is $100.
Is Southwest strict with checked baggage size?
Yes, Southwest is strict with checked baggage size. Each checked baggage weight will be 50 pounds or more petite on 62 inches in size (length + width + height). If your bag is more significant than 62 inches, it will be considered oversized, and you should pay a fee of $125 per bag.
How do I check my checked bags on Southwest?
To check the checked bags on the Southwest flight, there are steps on how to check your checked bags on Southwest Airlines, must consider the below steps.
- Arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before your flight departure time.
- Go to the Southwest Airlines check-in counter or self-tagging kiosk.
- If you check in at the counter, present your boarding pass and identification to the agent.
- If you are using the self-tagging kiosk, select the number of bags you want to check and print your bag tags.
- Attach the bag tags to your bags.
- Inspect your bags to make sure they meet the weight and size requirements.
- Drop off your bags at the bag drop-off area.
How much does Southwest charge for bags over 50 lbs?
There are some limitations to your baggage when traveling with Southwest Airlines. The airline provides two free checked baggage with a weight limit of 50 lbs. If your baggage exceeds the limit, you must pay an additional charge; the Southwest over 50 lbs fee is around $100. You can pay the amount at the time of check-in at the airport or online through web check-in. If you need any help, get through with customer service, and they will assist.
Does Southwest still allow 2 free bags?
Yes, Southwest Airlines still allows 2 free checked bags for all customers, regardless of their purchase fare. The bags must be at most 50 pounds and 62 inches (length + width + height) in total. Southwest is the only major airline in the United States that offers free checked bags for all passengers.
Is a carry-on free with Southwest?
Yes, Southwest Airlines allows you to take one carry-on luggage and one personal item for free. The Southwest carry on weight limit must not exceed 24 inches (L) x 16 inches (W) x 10 inches (H) and fit in the overhead bin. The personal item must be small enough to fit under the seat in front of you.
Is there a weight limit for carry-on bags Southwest?
Southwest Airlines does not have any specific weight limit for carry-on bags. However, your carry-on bag must fit within the following size restrictions:
- 10 x 16 x 24 inches (25.4 x 40.64 x 60.96 cm)
- If your carry-on bag is too big, it will need to be checked. Southwest does charge a fee for checked bags.
It is important to note that even though there is no weight limit for carry-on bags, Southwest employees may ask you to gate-check your bag if it is too heavy for them to lift into the overhead bin. If your bag is gate-checked, you will not be charged a fee.
Does Southwest allow oversized bags?
If your baggage exceeds the Southwest oversized baggage limit, you have to pay an additional charge to carry the baggage. If the weight is between 51 to 70 lbs, then the passenger has to pay $100, and for weight around 70 to 100 lbs, the charges are $125. No passenger is allowed to carry a bag with more than 100 lbs of weight.
What is the oversized bag limit on Southwest?
Southwest Airlines does not charge any amount for baggage within the size limit of 62 inches (length+ width+ height). However, the passenger can take up to 80 inches by paying $125. For more information or any assistance, reach out to customer service, as they are also available to assist with your problem and provide information.
Does a backpack count as a personal item Southwest?
- You can carry one personal item for free with Southwest Airlines, which includes a backpack, purse, laptop bag, briefcase, etc.
- However, the personal item has to be small enough to be put under the seat in front of you. Otherwise, it would be counted as carry-on baggage.
Can I track my Southwest baggage?
Currently, the airline does not provide a baggage tracking feature, and the only way for Southwest baggage tracking is through the airport help desk counter. The representative will file the report and provide you with an incident number. You can also call the airline through their contact number to get the status of your baggage.
However, if your baggage has been lost or delayed for more than five days, you can file for a baggage claim, and the airline will provide you with a refund. If you want to file for the baggage claim, then use the following instructions:
- Get to Southwest Airlines' official web page.
- Open the "Help Center" section.
- Click on the "Baggage" tab.
- Then, you have to open the baggage claim form.
- Fill out the form and mention all the required information.
- After that, the airline will contact you for the issue and provide compensation.
What items are not allowed in checked luggage Southwest Airlines?
If you are traveling with Southwest Airlines, there are many restricted items you are not allowed to carry in your checked luggage during the flight, and if any related item is found in your baggage, you might not be able to board the flight. Following is the list of all the prohibited items to carry in checked luggage:
- Alcoholic drinks with over 70% alcohol.
- Sharp objects such as blades, knives, scissors, box cutters, etc.
- Explosive substances, including gunpowder, lighters, flare guns, etc.
- Any radioactive material.
- Flammable items and fuels.
- Refrigerated or liquified gases that are flammable, non-flammable, or poisonous, like liquid nitrogen, compressed gas cylinders, and butane oxygen.